WITH an increase in the number of businessmen taking to the road on two wheels, bespoke tailoring has adapted to suit. This time, we are not talking about scooters (on which Henry Herbert tailors can often be found!), but the rise and rise of the bicycle commute. However, looking fashionable without appearing flustered on a bike requires some sharp tailoring and clever details. The modern businessman can now opt for a suave and sophisticated handmade suit that can be tweaked to take them straight from home to the boardroom, via the cycle path.
Bespoke tailoring is all about the details. To travel in style fabric, function, fit need to be considered, and it is possible look like a cool cyclist without layering on the lycra. Cutting a dash in a smart bespoke suit that has been made with cycling in mind is the practical, sensible and logical (not to mention time-saving) choice for power dressing professionals and elegant executives.
The perfect cycling business suit provides comfort and flexible dressing without any compromise on classic bespoke tailoring or style. An active lifestyle requires a suit that incorporates practical features like visibility and shape retention for wear and tear on the road.
- Choose a stain resistant fabric that is breathable and suitable for extreme weather conditions, and a cut that allows for freedom of movement and minimal creasing.
- Make a few adjustments by lowering the jacket armhole to enable extra arm reach and additional shoulder support for riding comfort.
- Pick a contemporary narrow trouser fit for safe cycling. A little extra padded support in the seat and crotch ensures a comfortable ride in the saddle. For additional comfort wear the trousers over padded shorts (get your lycra fix underneath!).
- Select high visibility lining in a striking colour. Vibrant yellow reflects the Tour de France style influence and gives the bespoke suit a sharp, modern designer edge. For ease of physical movement and comfort opt for a jacket that is half lined, and keep your undercollar melton in sync with lining – so that when you flip up your collar to protect against windchill, the bright lining will show and allow for extra visibility to other road users.
The ultimate cycle friendly bespoke suit takes you from A to B without any major dressing (or undressing) adjustments along the way. You will arrive at the office ready to do business.
- Keep your cool by adding a sailor’s tab collar (see an example here) that can be adjusted according to temperature and weather conditions. This also provides wind protection around the neck and chest.
- Add detachable fluorescent pocket flaps to increase visibility on the road.
- Choose smart high-vis trouser turn ups to complement and finish the elegant cut of the bespoke suit.
Rather like the compact, quick-change folding bike, the bespoke suit offers a practical solution to dressing the part ready for work and play. Choose durable and versatile fabric and distinctive details to create the perfect bespoke suit for business and leisure. Team with a complementary cycle helmet and leave the spare set of clothes at home. Say goodbye to lycra and hello to the modern fitness wardrobe for the busy executive.